This session will teach a new throw – the forehand – and work on throwing to a moving target.
Preparation: Use cones to set up one field for every eight participants (15m wide, 25m long goal-to-goal, plus 5m long endzones). These fields can also be used as playing areas for activities.
- Introduce yourself if you haven’t been with the group before
- Remind the group what they learned in the previous session (catching & backhand throw)
- Outline any safety considerations for the session
- Explain and demonstrate the forehand throw
- Give participants 2-3 minutes to throw with a partner. Use the GSWAP sheet to help identify and correct common errors
Extra Skills (for longer sessions)
- Explain and demonstrate how to make throws curve, by holding the disc at different angles
- Give participants 4-5 minutes to throw with a partner and experiment with getting the disc to curve
Extra Activity (for longer sessions)
Introduce Spirit Of The Game
- Players are responsible for upholding the rules of the game
- Is contact allowed between the thrower/catcher and their defender? (No)
- What happens if there is contact? (The thrower/catcher can call ‘contact’ or ‘foul’)
- When a foul or violation is called on the field – all players must stop where they are. Players should echo that a call has been made.
- If the player against whom the foul call was made disagrees – they can ‘contest’ the call.
- If a player making the foul call determines that their call was incorrect, they can retract the call by calling ‘retracted’. Play restarts with a check.
- If foul/contact called in the act of throwing, and pass is complete, call ‘play on’.
- If the pass is incomplete, play stops and discussion occurs. If the foul affected play, disc is returned to the thrower.
- Keep teams small – no more than four per side on the field
- Don’t explain tactics, just get everyone moving!
- Make an effort to ensure everyone is involved
- Use the CHANGE IT sheet to make adjustments if needed
- Ask participants to return all cones and discs
- Revise what was learned during the session – forehand and throwing to a moving target
- Thank them for playing!