Backhand Return Relay
- Mark a starting line and midway line, and place a distant marker to run around (turning point).
- Form teams of 4-6 participants.
- Place a disc on the midway line for each team.
- Players run to a point, return and on the way back, stop, pick up a disc and throw a backhand
throw to the team-mate next in line, before rejoining the line. This pattern continues as a relay race.
- Show each team their starting point, disc and turning point.
- Player 1 runs around the turning point and back towards the team, picking up the disc on the midway line.
- The disc is thrown backhand to player 2, player 1 joins the end of the team.
- Player 2 runs to the midway line, deposits the disc and continues to the turning point, then runs back, picks up the disc and throws a backhand throw to player 3.
- Continue until player 1 is again at the head of the line.
- Ensure there is sufficient space between teams to allow for stray throws.
CHANGE IT ideas
- Area: Vary distance to midway line and turning point.
- Game rules: Do a turning point activity – e.g. the runner has to move between 2 markers with a novelty activity (e.g. army crawl).
- Inclusion: Instead of placing the disc on the midway line, a player with limited mobility or throwing ability is situated at the midway line and an appropriate pass or handover is made.