Why play Ultimate?
Here’s 5 good reasons!
- Non-contact – as a non-contact sport it is a great, safe sport for students of all ages, sizes and abilities.
- Self-refereed – the self-refereeing aspect of Ultimate encourages a mature response to competitive situations.
- Skill Acquisition – the task of throwing a frisbee accurately and catching it successfully is great for the development of hand-eye co-ordination.
- Fun – we regularly find that students who wouldn’t usually get involved in PE really take an interest in Ultimate.
- Co-ed – Ultimate is most commonly played with both men and women. Teachers Games, Universtity Games and most leagues in Australia are Mixed.
Ultimate Frisbee is a unique sport that fosters many traditional fundamental motor skills as well as requiring new Frisbee specific skills. The game itself develops many fundamental motor skills such as running, leaping and the vertical jump. Ultimate Frisbee also develops hand-eye co-ordination and catching skills as well as the unique forehand, backhand and overhead throwing skills needed to propel the Frisbee. These new skills are easy and fun to learn and many of the movements can be adapted from other sports.
Ultimate Frisbee also provides a unique approach to officiating, allowing the players themselves to resolve disputes. The Spirit of the Game (SOTG) is the governing rule of the sport that trusts players to play within the rules in an honest and friendly-yet-competitive environment. SOTG allows players many opportunities for leadership as well as situations for players to practice conflict resolution that can easily be transferred to other areas of life. SOTG is best defined as: Play hard; play fair.
In a time when sedentary children are often considered the norm, Ultimate can inspire participants to continue playing this and other alternative sports. The fast-paced game of Ultimate Frisbee is a fantastic cardio workoutwith many new skills to master to ensure the game is always entertaining. Simply playing throw and catch has many health benefits as you chase and jump after a flying Frisbee to make a catch.